Top safety tips for new homeowners in Charlottesville
If you just bought your first home or you’re nearing the closing date, congratulations! It’s a wonderful time for your family. You’re probably thinking about the many ways you should customize your house with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you get too caught up in home improvements, make sure you give thought to home security too. Keeping your loved ones safeguarded should always be a foremost priority, and we’ll show you how with our safety tips for new homeowners in Charlottesville.
Conduct a safety audit of your new Charlottesville property
Now that safety is front and center, discover what your new home has in place. To start, ensure you have operational smoke detectors. Test every one and replace batteries if necessary. Are there carbon monoxide detectors? Do you need a water sensor in your basement? This is also an excellent time to replace door locks and check all locks on windows. Go through each room and get to know your property.
Smart security tips for your Charlottesville home
Once you’ve finished your opening inspection of locks and safety alarms, you should think about enhancing your protection. Get started with these security tips for your home in Charlottesville.
- Opt for a new home security system. One of the smartest things a new homeowner in Charlottesville can do is incorporate a home security system. Today’s wireless technology allows you to keep tabs on your home even when you’re at the office or on vacation. You can scan up-to-the-second video feeds, control entry locks, and even communicate with guests on your front porch straight from your mobile device. You can custom-tailor your system with amazing security implements such as video surveillance and monitored fire alarms.
- Modernize your outside lighting. Outside lights with motion detectors are an effective strategy in dissuading possible intruders. You can even incorporate them with outdoor cameras. The tripping of a motion detector can signal your video equipment to begin recording.
- Take care of your yard. Can you easily see all of your property from inside? Are there large bushes and trees impeeding the view? Remove potential places to hide by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it too.
- Get to know folks on your street. One more thing about your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you are friends with people close to you, they’ll be more likely to advise you if they see anything suspicious. You can also join your neighborhood’s social media page if one is available.
- Benefit from home automation. If you install a modern smart home, you can make it appear like you’re inside by illuminating smart light bulbs at programmed times. This is a fantastic feature when you’re at work or on vacation.